Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Keep A Leash On It

You know that writing exercise where they tell you to just write? No stopping, just keep writing. No time to stop and smell the roses, no planning your story out, no backspacing, just keep your fingers typing and moving forward till you're finished. Word Sprint: it's a Writer's Block exercise, typically timed. I focused less on having a time limit, and more on making sure I never stopped until the story was finished. Here are the short stories I made (mind the typos, these are raw).

I had no ideas today, so I used a random one-sentence prompt. Definitely not my favorite.
Somedays you just don't got it, but that's okay, I guess. Even on slum days, just keep writing.


Word Sprint 
Exercise #7
12/06/14

“You seeing anyone?”

The Golden Shepherd scratched his neck, his leash bell clanging.

“No, not really.”

“Why not?”

“I’m a seeing eye dog. I’m far too busy.”

“I’ve seen you. You’re absolutely bored with this life.”

“No, you misunderstand my facial expressions. I’m not bored. I’m tired.”

“Tired of what? I thought you liked all the running around?”

“Nah. I always have to be on guard. Always leading him, but always being led by him. Do you get it? I wish my life could be…”

“Simpler?”

George barked. “Yeah. That’s it. I wish I could just do things for me. Go where I want to. See what I want to. Smell what…well, you get it.”

“I figured. So that’s why I did it.”

“Did what?”

“I set you up.”

“Oh Thom. You didn’t.”

“I did. It’s tonight.” “But Thom! I haven’t even had a bath today! By the time I get one and dry off…”

“Isn’t it exciting!?”

“No Thom. Ug.”

George the golden retriever paced back and forth. Thom, the male nurse sat on the couch, smiling. An older man slept on a bed nearby.

“You’re a nervous wreck.”

“What about Billy?”

“Don’t worry about Billy. He’s too tired and cranky to go anywhere today. I’ve got the whole day with him. I’ll keep an eye on him. You…need to get out. Have some fun. Chase after something other than your own tail. Get some tail feather, if ya know what I mean…”

“You’re sick.”

“I must be. I’m talking to a dog.”

“Hey. That’s rude.”

“I know. Oh well. No one would ever believe me anyways.”

“It’s not like you understand me.”

“Ya. You talk. English. Spanish. Egyptian.”

“Don't forget Mandarin.”

“I just don’t get it…”

“I’ve had a lot of masters.”

“Alright. Stop stalling. I’ll give you a bath. A quick one. And then you’re meeting her.”

“Who is this dame anyways.”

“Oh, she’s fine. One of those cutie Dalmatians.”

“Thom. You know how I get…”

“Just don’t sniff your crotch too much and you’ll be fine. Just be yourself, and she’ll see the mad dog I’ve come to know and love so well. You’ll just get a different kind of loving if ya…”

“Stop it.”

“Fine.”

Thom stood, with a smirk.

“Sit.”

George obeyed.

“Roll.”

George obeyed with the roll of his eyes.

“Will you cut it out.”

“Okay. Let’s go. I’ll drive you so you’re not late. Time to let your dog out...”

---

It was a fine restaurant. French. Romantic, scented candles upon their small table, covered in linens and rose pedals.

George sat upright in the wood chair, his tail wagging back and forth in anticipation.

She waltzed into to the restaurant.

George’s mouth opened wide, his tongue protruding in shock and awe.

She was incredible. The way her tail swayed side to side. Oh…and her spots. Some black. And some white. Some big. Oh. And some oh so small. George could die happy now.

“Come on, George. Calm yourself. Put yourself together.”

She approached the table. She leapt onto the open chair across from him, the back legs rising and clanging into the table. The human guests stared at them rudely.

“Sorry about that.” George said to them. They all froze.

George didn’t mind them. Humans always acted weird when they heard him talk. They’d probably all go home and call their doctor to set up an appointment.

George returned his gaze to the babe Dalmatian.

“So, what’s your name?”

She just panted.

George scratched his neck in nervousness. “Ah shit, not again” he whispered to himself.

He slammed his paw back on his chair, holding it down with his other.

She still just stared at him.

“So, what do you do?”

She looked variously about the restaurant. Then she started licking the plates.

Ug. No manners. Who was George kidding. The gorgeous ones were always so long-nosed snobbish. George would never be able to get with a dog like that.

“I’m a seeing eye dog. Luckily my owner didn’t have anywhere to go so I was able to sneak on over here.”
She continued to lick the plate, nearly knocking it off the table.

“My friends say I’m overly talkative. Sometimes too much. But I can be a good listener. Just give me a chance.”
She looked up. Her big brown eyes burrowed into his soul. She could have his heart. And all his other organs. If only the babe would she say something, anything to him.

“You think you’re too good for me, don’t you? That’s it. You’re one of the pets who has a rich owner. You get everything you could possible want and more. Why did you even come on this date, anyways? You should have just stood me up. That would have been better than this torture.”

Her head tilted, as if lost.

“Or are you shy? Oh my gosh I’m so sorry. I didn’t even think of that. I’m such a nervous wreck. You’re just so magnificent. Gorgeous really, and I’m just a blubbering idiot, tripping over his words.”

She looked away, staring off out the window as if the passing pedestrians were far more interesting.

“I could be good to you. I really could be. I’m a hard working dog. Ask my owner. Ask his nurse. Ask anyone that knows me. They’d tell you. George is the hardest working seeing-eye dog that has ever been. That’s a quote. Really. My owner’s nurse said that about me last Tuesday.”

She pushed her ear against her shoulder, itching.

“Dang it. Now you think I’m so full of myself. I’m not like that. I swear.”

She continued itching as if he wasn’t there.

“Just say something!”

The restaurant grew silent.

George gulped. “Everything’s okay. Really. Enjoy your dinners.”

George turned back at her. She looked frightened.

“I don’t normally get angry like this. It’s just…”

A guest slammed their napkin on their table and walked off toward the front.

George looked back at her.

“You don’t talk, do you?”

She resumed licking the plates. She lapped up the water from the thin glass goblet.

George removed his napkin from his neck.

“Okay, screw this. We’re done here.”

George dropped from the chair, and left the restaurant.

Just as he exited, three cop cars pulled up.

“Shit on the grass.”

The cops exited their vehicles, batons in hand.

“Hey guys, it’s not what you think. Everything’s cool here.”

WACK!

---

Thom overlooked George. George was wrapped in a blanket in bed.

Thom frowned, holding back a laugh.

“Did you at least get some?”

“Shut up.”

Thom erupted in laughter.

“This is why I don’t leave the house without Billy. Things just get out of hand.”

“You mean you get out of hand.”

George growled at Thom.

“Okay okay.”

They were silent, the ceiling fan pulsing above them.

“I know this one poodle…”

“NO.”

No comments :

Post a Comment